Sunday, May 10, 2009

New Homemade Fiber Tool







It is sure nice when you know your man is not only handy, but that he will allow you to use his tools unsupervised as well as do the stuff that is just a bit beyond your skill set. Recently I was looking through Spin-Off Magazine and saw some ads for lots of lovely tools to assist in spinning and plying. Knowing I was on my way to Maryland Sheep and Wool, I knew I did not have the nice dollar amount listed for said tools. My budget normally goes toward fiber. I did purchase a delish spindle from Goldings made from beautiful Kingwood. But, normally tools are not my loot of choice. So, long story short, I decided to try to make my own plying tool.



I went into the garage and was probably just a bit too quiet and the man came to see what mischievous thing I must be up to. I had a long board I found leaned up against the garage door with some weird pencil marks on it. I found a compass on the floor (that kind we had in math and made holes in our paper with and stabbed other kids with) and made it all nice and uniform. I then proceeded to locate a ruler and could only find an old bent one. No problem, step on it and take out the bend...also, don't look up on the wall and see all the nice carpenter squares..too easy..



The man came along and asked what in the world I was attempting to make. He said he could cut the whole thing out in 5 minutes. Well, when he found his saw it was missing the blade. Bet you can't guess where I found one?? The floor of course...This is a garage with at least 3 generations of men's crap in it so when I ask if we have some obscure tool, we normally find one in that heap out there. This lends me to ask if he has a cutting wheel for my dremel..and he produces a whole kit from a knock off brand that was like the angels singing and light shining down from above when he opened it. It had all sorts of attachments and stuff. So the following pics are the results of a bunch of crap and stuff artfully done up....
Now, I wonder if it works...









3 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I just discovered we have yet another thing in common... what kind of horses do you have/show? That is actually how I made enough money to put myself through college and gradschool! Oh, let us know how the plying paddle works!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Thenutmeg2000 said...

Hehe- I love all horses and I haven't riden much this past year. I ride whatever I can get. I ride equally well English and western. I have done Hunter/Jumper, barrel racing, english pleasure, plan ol riding around in the woods, and that sort. I would love to make money doing it..How did that work out??

5:08 PM  
Blogger lissa said...

that is cool. i need to get stuff to learn to make my own spindles and other associated tools.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home